The most significant single cause of arguments in our family is bathroom time. Our morning routine used to be an idyllic family breakfast, where we would discuss the upcoming day. As our family grew and the kids got older, this pleasant time changed to a cutthroat frenzy to see who could get their share of morning bathroom time.
Something had to change, and we had been using our attic for storage space. We decided to reuse this space and build an attic bathroom. The project was a big one as we had to add the attic plumbing. There are many attic bathroom ideas to discover.
Did this rebalance our home and make us a family again? Only time will tell, but it did have one unexpected effect that I will tell you about at the end of this post.
We looked at some interior design magazines for inspiration and found some fantastic options.
You can use a half wall to separate the shower or bath area from the rest of the bathroom, creating a private nook for bathing. We can also use it to make a separate vanity area, with the half wall providing a convenient place to mount a mirror and storage shelves.
In terms of materials, a half-wall can be made from various materials, including wood, tile, or even glass. This allows for flexibility in terms of both design and budget.
To add a touch of warmth and elegance, consider incorporating natural wood elements into the design of the half-wall. You can achieve this through the use of wood paneling or by using wooden beams or posts to support the structure.
A half wall is a versatile design element that can add function and style to an attic bathroom. It can create a sense of privacy and provide a practical solution for dividing the space.
Yes, you can enclose a shower in an attic bathroom. The shower can help create a more functional and comfortable space in the attic. There are a few things to consider when enclosing a shower in an attic bathroom, including the size and layout of the area and the type of enclosure you want to use.
One option for enclosing a shower in an attic bathroom is a prefabricated shower enclosure. These kits contain everything you need to quickly and easily enclose the shower, including the walls, door, and base. Prefabricated shower enclosures are available in various sizes and styles, so you can choose the one that best fits your space and design preferences.
Another option is to build a custom shower enclosure. This will require more time and effort, but it will also allow for greater flexibility in terms of design and layout. When building a custom shower enclosure, it’s essential to carefully plan the space and consider the height of the ceiling, the placement of the plumbing, and the type of door and walls you want to use.
Regardless of your choice, it’s vital to ensure the shower enclosure is properly sealed and waterproofed to prevent leaks and water damage. Consider consulting with a contractor or plumber to ensure the enclosure is installed correctly and meets all necessary building codes and regulations.
A sloped ceiling in an attic bathroom can be a unique and exciting design feature. Instead of trying to hide or work around the sloped ceiling, you can use it to create a more visually appealing and functional space. Here are a few ideas for how to use a sloped ceiling as a feature in an attic bathroom:
- Create a focal point: The sloped ceiling can create a focal point in the bathroom. For example, you can paint the ceiling differently or use wallpaper to add visual interest. You can also install a light fixture or chandelier to draw the eye up and add a touch of glamour to the space.
- Add storage: The space under a sloped ceiling is often challenging, but it can be an excellent storage place. You can install shelves or built-in cabinets along the sloped ceiling to create additional storage space for towels, toiletries, and other bathroom essentials.
- Create a shower area: The sloped ceiling can create a separate shower area within the bathroom. You can install a glass shower enclosure along the sloped ceiling, with the door opening at the roof’s highest point. This will create a private, functional shower space that feels open and spacious.
- Add a skylight: If the attic bathroom has a sloped ceiling that faces the outdoors, you can install a skylight to bring natural light into the space. A skylight can help to illuminate the bathroom and make it feel more open and airy.
A sloped ceiling can be a unique and attractive feature in an attic bathroom. By using it creatively, you can create a space that is functional, stylish, and full of character.
Gray is a popular color choice for bathroom renovations, as it is versatile, elegant, and timeless. Here are a few tips for using gray in an attic bathroom renovation:
- Choose the right shade: Gray comes in a wide range of shades, from light and airy to deep and moody. When choosing a gray color for your attic bathroom, consider the size and layout of the space, as well as the natural light. A light gray can help to make a small attic bathroom feel more spacious, while a darker gray can add depth and drama to a larger space.
- Mix and match: Gray is a versatile color that pairs well with many other colors and materials. In an attic bathroom, you can use gray as the primary color and mix and match it with different colors and textures to create a cohesive and stylish design. For example, you can use gray tiles on the floor and walls and add pops of color with towels, accessories, and artwork.
- Consider the finishes: The finish of the gray materials you choose can also impact the overall look and feel of the bathroom. A matte finish will create a more subtle and understated look, while a glossy finish will add shine and make the bathroom more modern and luxurious.
- Add texture: To add interest and texture to a gray bathroom, consider using materials with different textures and patterns. For example, you can use a subway tile with a matte finish on the walls and mix in a patterned tile or mosaic on the floor or as a backsplash. This will create visual interest and make the bathroom more dynamic and inviting.
Overall, using gray in an attic bathroom renovation can create a stylish and timeless space. You can create a chic, modern, and comfortable bathroom by choosing the correct shade, mixing and matching it with other colors and materials, and adding texture.
Wood tile is a popular and versatile design element that can add warmth and texture to an attic bathroom. Here are a few ideas for incorporating wood tile into your attic bathroom design:
- Use wood tile on the floor: One of the most common ways to use wood tile in a bathroom is on the floor. Wood tile comes in various colors, styles, and sizes, so you can choose the one that best fits your design aesthetic. Wood tile can create a warm and inviting feeling in the bathroom and is durable and easy to clean.
- Use wood tile on the walls: In addition to the floor, you can also use wood tile on the walls of an attic bathroom. This can create a unique and rustic look, and it can also help to add warmth and texture to the space. You can use wood tile on the entire wall or as a backsplash or accent wall.
- Mix and match wood tile with other materials: Another way to incorporate wood tile into your attic bathroom design is to mix and match it with other materials. For example, you can use wood tile on the floor and walls and combine it with marble or stone tile on the countertops or in the shower. This will create a cohesive and stylish design that incorporates the warmth of wood with the elegance of other materials.
- Use wood tile in a pattern: To add visual interest and texture to your attic bathroom design, consider using wood tile in a pattern. This can be as simple as a herringbone or chevron pattern or as elaborate as a mosaic or other intricate design. Using wood tile in a pattern will add depth and dimension to the bathroom and make it feel more dynamic and exciting.
Overall, wood tile is a versatile and attractive material that you can incorporate into many different attic bathroom designs. Using it on the floor, walls, and in patterns, you can create a warm, inviting functional and stylish space.
When designing a new attic bathroom, it’s essential to incorporate modern and functional elements to make the space more comfortable and convenient. Here are a few modern bathroom items that you should consider adding to your new attic bathroom:
- Heated floors: One of the most luxurious and comfortable features you can add to an attic bathroom is heated floors. Heated floors use a system of pipes or electric mats to warm the floor, making it comfortable to walk barefoot, even on cold days.
- A floating vanity: A floating vanity is a modern and stylish addition to any bathroom. A floating vanity is a free-standing cabinet or basin mounted to the wall rather than the floor. This creates a sleek and contemporary look and makes the space easier to clean and maintain.
- A rain shower: A rain shower is a type of showerhead designed to mimic the feeling of standing in a natural rainstorm. Rain showers are typically large and overhead, and they can provide a relaxing and invigorating shower experience.
- A bidet: A bidet is a plumbing fixture used to clean the genitals and anus after using the toilet. Bidets are common in many European and Asian countries and are becoming increasingly popular in the United States. A bidet can provide a more hygienic and comfortable bathroom experience.
- An intelligent toilet: A smart toilet is a modern bathroom appliance incorporating advanced technology and features. Smart toilets typically have a variety of functions, such as a heated seat, automatic flushing, and a self-cleaning system. Some smart toilets even have built-in bidet functions and air purification systems.
Overall, incorporating modern bathroom items into your new attic bathroom can make the space more comfortable, convenient, and stylish. These items will enhance the bathroom’s function and add a touch of luxury and sophistication to the room.
A minimalist design aesthetic can be an excellent choice for an attic bathroom, as it can create a clean, uncluttered, functional, and stylish space. To incorporate a minimalist design with white walls in your new attic bathroom, here are a few tips:
- Keep the color palette simple and neutral: In a minimalist design, it’s essential to keep the color palette simple and neutral. White is perfect for this, as it is clean, crisp, and versatile. You can use white on the walls, ceiling, and fixtures and then add pops of color with towels, accessories, and artwork.
- Use clean lines and simple shapes: Minimalist design is all about simplicity and functionality, so it’s essential to use clean lines and simple shapes in the bathroom. This means avoiding ornate or overly complex fixtures and furniture and choosing items with clean, modern lines.
- Use natural materials: To add warmth and texture to a minimalist attic bathroom, consider using raw materials. Wood, stone, and marble can all be used to add visual interest and tactile appeal to the space. We can incorporate these materials into the floor, walls, and fixtures, which will help create a balanced and cohesive design.
- Edit and declutter: In a minimalist design, it’s essential to edit and declutter the space. This means removing unnecessary items and only keeping the essentials in the bathroom. By doing this, you can create a clean and uncluttered space that is free from distractions and focused on function.
Overall, a minimalist design aesthetic can be an excellent choice for an attic bathroom with white walls. You can create a stylish, functional, uncluttered space by using clean lines, simple shapes, natural materials, and a neutral color palette.
Installing a skylight on a slanted roof can be a great way to bring natural light into a space and add visual interest to a home. Here are the steps for installing a skylight on a slanted roof:
- Choose the right skylight: The first step in installing a skylight is to choose the right skylight for your space and needs. Many types of skylights are available, including fixed, ventilated, and electric. You should consider the size and layout of the room, as well as the direction of the roof slope and the amount of natural light you want to bring in.
- Measure and mark the location: Once you have chosen the skylight, the next step is to measure and mark the area where you will install it. This should be done carefully, considering the slope of the roof, the location of any existing roofing materials, and the location of the interior space where the skylight will be visible.
- Cut the opening: The next step is to cut the opening in the roof where you will install the skylight. We can do this with a saw or other cutting tool, which you should do carefully to ensure that the opening is the correct size and shape.
- Install the skylight frame and flashing: The skylight frame and flashing are the structural elements that support the skylight and protect the opening in the roof. The frame and flashing should be installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions, considering the roof’s slope and the skylight’s location.
- Install the skylight glass: Once the frame and flashing are installed, the final step is to install the skylight glass. This should be done carefully, following the manufacturer’s instructions and properly sealing the skylight to prevent leaks and water damage.
Overall, installing a skylight on a slanted roof can be challenging but rewarding. Following these steps and planning and preparing, you can successfully install a skylight and bring natural light and beauty into your home.
A vaulted ceiling can be a beautiful and unique design feature in an attic bathroom. It can create a sense of openness and spaciousness and add visual interest and drama to the space. Here are a few ideas for how to use a vaulted ceiling as a feature in an attic bathroom to create a sense of space:
- Use a light color on the ceiling: One way to create a sense of openness and space in an attic bathroom with a vaulted ceiling is to use a light color on the ceiling. We can achieve this through paint, wallpaper, or other finishes. A light color will reflect light and make the ceiling feel higher and more expansive.
- Use a large mirror: A large mirror can also help to create a sense of space in an attic bathroom with a vaulted ceiling. A mirror on the wall opposite the window or natural light source will reflect the light and make the space feel larger and brighter.
- Use a skylight: If the attic bathroom has a vaulted ceiling that faces the outdoors, you can install a skylight to bring natural light into the space. A skylight will illuminate the bathroom and make the ceiling feel higher and more open.
- Use hanging light fixtures: We can also use light fixtures to create a sense of space in an attic bathroom with a vaulted ceiling. Suspending light fixtures from the ceiling will draw the eye upward, making the ceiling feel higher and more open.
Overall, a vaulted ceiling can be a beautiful and unique design feature in an attic bathroom. By using light colors, mirrors, skylights, and hanging light fixtures, you can create a sense of space and openness and make the most of the height and volume of the ceiling.
Here are a few ideas for fun bathroom features that you can incorporate to make your attic bathroom unique and fun:
- A fun wallpaper: Wallpaper is a great way to add color, pattern, and texture to a bathroom, and it can also be a fun and playful design element. You can use wallpaper with a bold and colorful pattern or choose a whimsical design with animals, landscapes, or other fun motifs.
- A statement light fixture: A statement light fixture can be a fun and eye-catching addition to an attic bathroom. You can choose a light fixture with an attractive shape, color, or texture, such as a chandelier, pendant light, or sconce. This will add visual interest and a touch of whimsy to the space.
- A unique vanity: The vanity is often the centerpiece of a bathroom and can be a fun and exciting design element. You can choose a vanity with an unusual shape, color, or texture, or you can repurpose an old piece of furniture, such as a dresser or antique chest, to create a unique and one-of-a-kind vanity.
- A fun shower curtain: The shower curtain is another element that can add fun and personality to an attic bathroom. You can choose a shower curtain with a bold and colorful pattern or one with a fun and whimsical design, such as an animal print or graphic design.
Overall, there are many fun and exciting design elements that you can incorporate into an attic bathroom to make it unique and fun. By using bold colors, patterns, and textures, you can create a space that is both functional and full of character.
One month after our attic bathroom completion, things are calm in the house. Our girls are talking to each other again; amazingly, we eat breakfast together a couple of times a week.
Adding the extra bathroom was worth it, and using our attic space was the best idea. I wish we had done this years ago.